The dependent partner and children under the age of 18 of Skilled Worker can apply for a dependent visa to stay or join a Skilled Worker in the UK.

Who are Eligible to Apply as a Dependent of a Skilled Worker

a) Dependent Partners

Partners must be over the age of 18 at the date of application. The partner and Skilled Worker must be:

  • Married; or
  • In a civil partnership; or
  • Have lived together for at least two years before the date of application. This should normally have been completed immediately prior to the application date, but the Home Office guidance indicates that there may be situations where this is not the case e.g. where the couple lives separately due to work commitments or caring responsibilities.

You must also demonstrate that you are in a genuine and subsisting relationship with each other and that you intend to live together during the Skilled Worker’s stay in the UK. If the genuineness of your relationship is doubted, you may be asked to attend an interview.

b) Dependent Children

All children under the age of 18 years can apply to join or extend their current visa to that of a skilled worker-dependent visa.

What Funds are Required for a Skilled Worker Dependent Application?

Unless you are applying for permission to stay and have been living in the UK with permission for 12 months or longer by the date of application, you will need to meet the maintenance requirements.

You must show that for at least 28 days (ending within 31 days of the application) you have held funds of:

  •  £285 for a dependent partner; and
  • £315 for the first dependent child; and
  • £200 for any other dependent child.

Cost of Applying for a Skilled Worker Dependent Visa

Applications outside the UK (per applicant):

  • Up to 3 years = £610 
  • Over 3 years = £1,220 

Applications inside the UK (per applicant):

  • Up to 3 years = £704 
  • Over 3 years = £1,408 

However, if the Skilled Worker job is in shortage occupation then the fee is reduced to £464 for up to 3 years and £928 for over 3 years.

If your employer can support you instead

Your certificate of sponsorship must confirm this. Your employer will need to complete the ‘sponsor certifies maintenance’ section on your certificate. This is under ‘Additional data’.