UK De Facto Visa/unmarried partner visa – Alternative Routes

The UK Immigration De-facto Visa follows similar principles as the UK Marriage Visa. It applies to common law and conjugal partners and not the7 spouses and places emphasis on establishing the authenticity of the relationship. The Unmarried Partner Visa is applicable for a probationary period of two years and this can lead to the application for indefinite leave to remain or to obtaining British nationality subsequently. The unmarried partner visa meant for both heterosexual and homosexual relationships and allows entry into the UK if all the requirements are fulfilled.

This visa is difficult to obtain as the applicants have to prove that they are in a relationship similar to that of a married partners and intend to stay together in the future. All previous relationships must be terminated and valid documents will need to be provided to prove any divorces or mutual separations with previous partners. This visa is ideally suited to couples who do not wish to marry or cannot marry for certain reasons.

Alternative routes for entry

Candidates wishing to live in the UK with their UK settled partner can apply for the Highly Skilled Migrant Program or a Dependency Visa. For this type of visa the couple must be cohabiting.

HSMP: The highly skilled migrant program is a UK immigration service that allows individuals with special skills to immigrate to the UK. Qualification plays an important role and this visa is granted on a point based system considering professional qualifications, age, work experience and potential earnings.

This route is not in existence.

Dependent visa: Unmarried candidate can apply for the Dependency Visa based on their partner residing in the UK. Applicant must demonstrate that he/she has been in a relationship with the partner for a period of two years before applying for the visa. If one of the partners is a holder of a current UK working permit, then he or she can bring his or her partner to join in the UK.